Your ideal night at home should be a peaceful, restful sleep; not having to run for a bucket to capture water leaking from your roof. Rooftops are significant investments, but they do not last forever; and a roof can start to leak long before it is due for replacement. It is important to understand why a residential roof may leak. Contact a professional for roofing repairs in the Edmonton area right away if you do notice the signs of a leak. That way, you can preserve your investment and hopefully, avoid the costs of a replacement for several more years.
Leaking Residential Roof Repairs in Edmonton and Fort McMurray
Some of these reasons require quick fixes, while others may involve a more in-depth repair or even replacement of the rooftop. If you notice dripping water, excess moisture or water stains on the wall, here are a few reasons your roof could be leaking:
- Cracked Flashing – The tar that seals your roof’s flashing may have begun to corrode. Once this occurs, it creates small openings where water can seep inside.
- Broken Shingles – Your roof could have broken shingles and you may not know it. Hail storms, high winds and heavy rains could chip, crack and remove shingles. Once a shingle is broken, it no longer protects the inside of your home from water.
- Improperly Sealed Valleys – Whether it is because the sealing was not done right the first time or it cracked subsequently from weathering, once a valley is not sealed, water runs down and inside the home.
- Cracked Vent Booting – Your roof will have openings for HVAC ventilation, roof fans, etc. These small pipes are sealed to prevent leaks, but if the rubber boot has cracked, slipped or become compromised in any way, it could allow water to penetrate.
- Ice Dam Buildup – These ridges of ice form on the edge of a roof and prevent snow from properly melting and draining in your gutter system. This is a common cause of leaks that professional roofers in Edmonton will see in the winter.
- Improperly Installed Skylights – Improper measuring and fitting or decayed insulation along the edges can lead to a leaking skylight.
- Clogged Gutters – Gutter cleaning is a task that should be done at least once a year (though, preferably twice a year). Gutters help water travel away from the roof; therefore, when they are clogged, the water has nowhere to go but back up into the house.
There are plenty of reasons why your home’s roof may be leaking. While you could get up on top of your roof and check it out, you may end up causing more damage. Attempting to inspect and fix your roof without the proper tools, training and safety equipment can also be dangerous. Roofing systems are complex and delicate. If you step on the wrong component, you could create another entry point for water.
If you have a leaking roof, contact A&M Roofing, Ltd. We offer residential roofing in Edmonton and surrounding areas. Whether you need repair services or it is time to replace your home’s roof, our team is here to help.